9:  Park House

Returning to the station (back over the footbridge at Chart Way and along North Street) you pass Park House.  This was built in two stages between 1690 and 1720 and stands on the site of an earlier timber-framed house called Cockmans.  Park House was known as "The Wicker House" after the family who built it and it was purchased by the Council in 1928 together with 16 acres of parkland.  The house was refurbished in 1982/83 and is still occupied by Horsham District Council.  There are some interesting ancillary buildings (a barn, stables and granary), once threatened with demolition but now converted into other uses.  Worth visiting, too, are the scented garden to the rear of Park House and the nearby children's maze with its dragon statue at the centre.

Note also the former horse trough in North Street which was provided by the Metropolitan Water Fountain and Cattle Trough Association to commemorate Captain Drummond MVO who served as Chief Constable in Horsham from 1879 until 1912.

On the corner opposite the station are a group of 17th century cottages which mark the edge of what was once common land.  Some of these cottages have been incorporated into the recent Park Mews residential development.

The railway first came to Horsham in 1848 at the end of a branch line from Three Bridges.  The main line from Victoria eventually passed through Horsham in 1867 on its way south through Billingshurst to reach the coast.  The whole line was electrified in 1938 and the present station buildings date from this time.