Market Square

The former Town Hall with its castellated appearance was built by the Duke of Norfolk in 1812 on the site of the former Market House which had stood there for 300 years.  Market Square has a number of timber-framed houses (6, 10 and 11) since refaced in brick, stone or rough cast.  Nos 12 and 13 are 18th century, the latter with a 19th century shop window.

Talbot Lane or Pump Alley (there are the remains of a pump) leads off Market Square and contains several timber-framed buildings.  The one on the north side was formerly the Talbot Inn.  At the entrance to the alley is the Old Posting Box, an early collection point for London mail.